We all tend to overeat at times.
It may happen when we wait too long to eat, and we are starving or maybe because the food is fantastic and you somehow can’t seem to stop yourself. And… yes, a little willpower can go a long way but why not start with some easy tips to at least curb your appetite.
Tip #1: Water, water, water
You are famished; the food is enticing, it smells and looks fantastic. Before you know it you have downed a small feast. But could you be thirsty? Did you know your body can confuse the feeling of thirst with hunger?
Studies show drinking a glass or two of water before a meal can help reduce the amount of food eaten.
Water can slightly increase your metabolism. Most of us can use any help we can get.
Tip #2: Mindful Eating
You’ve heard of mindfulness but have you applied that to your eating habits?
Eating mindfully helps you avoid overeating as well as having a bonus of aiding digestion.
Just as being mindful when you meditate helps to focus your attention on your breathing and the present moment being mindful and focus your attention on your meal.
Do this by taking smaller bites, eating more slowly, chewing more thoroughly, and savoring every mouthful. Notice and appreciate the smell, taste, and texture. Breathe.
Eating slower often means eating less.
- It takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize the stomach is full.
- So take your time, pay attention to your food, and enjoy every bite.
- Eat at a table without watching tv or playing with your phone.
- Eat off of a small plate.
- Put your fork down between bites.
Tip #3: Do you ever wonder why people traditionally eat a salad first?
Veggies are full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and health-promoting phytochemicals but they also have secret weapons:
Fiber and Water
Both fiber and water make you feel fuller because they are “satiating” which keeps you from eating as much food.
Recipe (Water): Tasty (and beautiful) Pre-Meal Water Ideas
Not a water drinker, here are five fruit combos to add to your large glass of water:
- lemon & lime slices
- Orange slices
- Apple slices and a cinnamon stick
- Pineapple cubes
- Blueberries & raspberries
- Experiment with any you fruit you enjoy the most. There are no wrong choices here.
* Add frozen chopped fruit to your water to keep your it flavorful and cold all day.